Re: Moving existing ostree users to a new branch - take 2

On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 13:48 -0600, Daniel Drake wrote:
On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 2:45 AM, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com>
wrote:
So, here is a strawman proposal:

* Add new per-commit metadata "ostree.origin-ref", and set it
  whenever we commit.

* Add a new operation to ostree that makes it easy to copy a commit
  from one ref to another, changing only the origin-ref.

* Add a new security mode in the repo config where GPG signatures
  are required for commits *and* the commits are required to have
  an ostree.origin-ref that matches the ref that was pulled.

* Add a new magic ref name, "ostree/config", where the commit
contains
  metadata that is global configuration for the remote. There is
  a corresponding [config] group in the config file for the repo
  and an ostree operation that takes all the configuration data in
  the config group (plus the gpg key) and commits a new version
  of the ostree/config ref.
  (For flatpak I would also want to store our extra global metadata
   here with custom keys, currently xa.title and xa.default-
branch.)

* Add a client side operation that update the remote configuration
  based on a ostree/config commit object. (i.e. update url, add new
  gpg keys, revoke old gpg keys, etc).

I can see how you would use this to rewrite a remote config so that
it
points at a new URL/key.

How about redirecting refs within the remote though? I guess we could
do it by adding configuration data that includes the ref redirects,
also to be included in the ostree/config commits?

It seems like the discussion has progressed beyond the original
suggestion of just using commit metadata to redirect to a new branch,
but in case it is of interest, here is a rough implementation of
that:
https://github.com/endlessm/ostree/commits/commit-eol-redirect

Yes, I kinda hijacked this thread for a only semi-related thing. Sorry.

For ref redirect i think it makes a lot of sense to store this in the
commit itself.

       alexl redhat com            alexander larsson gmail com
He's a scrappy Amish boxer who hangs with the wrong crowd. She's a
vivacious gypsy museum curator who dreams of becoming Elvis. They fight
crime!