Re: Moving existing ostree users to a new branch - take 2

On Mon, May 15, 2017, at 04:45 AM, Alexander Larsson wrote:

When we "promote" the commit from the testing repo to the stable repo
we create a new commit, ... So,
I've basically added a new ostree operation, "flatpak build-commit-
from" which creates a new commit, based on an old commit (possibly from
a different local repo) which has the same content, but a different
commit id. It also adds a reference to the "old commit" in the metadata
in order to guarantee that the new commit gets a different sha256 and
thus does not inherit the old signatures, etc.

Yeah, we have an implementation of that here too:
https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree-releng-scripts/blob/master/do-release-tags
(It was used by our CentOS AH development release stream for a while
 but not currently)

They appear to differ mostly in their choice of metadata key.  Plus the
fact that do-release-tags aims for idempotency so it can be run via a
scheduled job.