Re: ostree host from scratch w/o anaconda

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016, at 05:41 AM, Leandro Santiago wrote:
Hi Colins, my system is based on Centos7, and I am using Fedora 22 installer to deploy my ostree images. This installer is quite old now, not supporting btrfs or tmpfs partitions or even /boot in the same partition.

I'll make /boot-on-/ work in the next release, have an outstanding PR already.

In my use case, I have a single partition with both system and /boot, instead of a separated /boot. Then I also need to keep volatile data in a separated partition, to prevent data corruption and avoid / to fill out.

One goal of OSTree was that you only have /etc/ and /var.  It might be possible to reduce this to a single partition, the main sticking is /etc/fstab.  Another issue with /etc as a mount is probably /etc/passwd, but if you're using nss-altfiles and /usr/lib/passwd then early boot doesn't need /etc.  There is: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/DiscoverablePartitionsSpec/
But I haven't really tried to use it myself yet.

Please let me know if you think I should report this issue as a bug. It's a trivial fix for me right now to just change grub.cfg after it's generated, but I'd be glad on having it behaving correctly during generation :-)
BTW, I also think grub2 sucks, and as I am using intel hardware, I was thinking on migrating to extlinux, which is way simpler and less complicated. How well supported is it on ostree?

As Paeglis mentioned I'm working on
https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/pull/215

I'll restate my personal primary focus right now is grub2 but it's very much a goal for extlinux and u-boot to work as well.