Re: ostree host from scratch w/o anaconda

I apologize for resurrecting this thread, but has anyone had success on this process? I was previously using anaconda to deploy an ostree based system, but due some anaconda's bugs and limitations, I am doing the process manually now and the only step left is writing the bootloader to disk.

It's been quite complicated to achieve this goal, so please let me someone has already done the hard work and wants to share it :-)

I am also open to use syslinux, as my use case is not that complex to require grub.

My best regards,
Leandro

On 18 June 2015 at 14:52, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 17, 2015, at 12:18 AM, Touseef Liaqat wrote:

> At this point I assumed we need to install boot loader and run following
> command which I think is not supposed to be called directly, which is
> causing some errors.
>
> $ ostree admin instutil --sysroot=/mnt/ostreeroot/ grub2-generate

What we do with Anaconda/OSTree is that Anaconda is responsible
for installing the bootloader code:
https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/blob/86a5c8ffd175b28c9e9e98207c900e5daa40431c/pyanaconda/bootloader.py#L1381
then it calls into ostree to configure it:

https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/blob/86a5c8ffd175b28c9e9e98207c900e5daa40431c/pyanaconda/packaging/rpmostreepayload.py#L297

> 2) I am confused on how to replicate _copyBootloaderData (in
> rpmostreepayload.py) manually on my
> side. What should be returned by .getTargetPhysicalRoot() and
> .getSysroot()?

physical root = /mnt/ostreeroot
sysroot = /mnt/ostreeroot/ostree/deploy/$osname/deploy/$deployment

> 3) Any suggestion where to look for help on creating Host from scratch
> without anaconda, and how bootloader works in ostree world? Is this the
> right direction I am going so that at the end I could create photon ostree
> host? Am I executing the above commands in right way?

You're pretty close.  This list is the right place.  The actual bootloader
integration with GRUB2 is pretty ugly.  We could do a lot better when
using a bootloader that directly parses the Bootloader Spec.  But
the BLS has issues with multi-booting among other things.  See:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2014-July/msg00002.html

for a thread on this in the Fedora world.  Other people use OSTree
with syslinux/u-boot, and rely on generating the config file, which works OK.

I really don't like GRUB2, but it has a lot of momentum owing to the UEFI support
and being the default on both Ubuntu and Fedora/RHEL among others.