Re: Integration with gnome-software

On 29 March 2016 at 14:59, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
librpm only knows how to introspect the *running* system, in order
to e.g. compute an rpmdb diff versus a newer or older tree, you'd want to
use the librpmostree API.

Yup, in gnome-software I just need to know "What is the application
version of /usr/share/applications/gimp.desktop" so I actually want
the running version in this case.

Do you have any hints to what flags I need to use for this
download-not-deploy mode? Sorry for all the newbie questions, I hope
it's clear I'm willing to do the work where required :)

Hmm, but when are you planning to do the deployment?  Remember
preparing the deployment for the next boot is completely nondestructive.

Right. The issue here is that if we unconditionally deploy without
asking we could be updating the OS when the user would not wish to. I
know I personally don't do any updates when a long way from home or
just before a conference for example. Unless it's trivial to go back
(and I mean trivial in the automatically-revert-on-failed-boot and
click-one-button-in-a-gui sense) I think asking before deploying is
still required.

Yes, though let's have a high level design first?

For sure, just making sure changes are welcome :)

That is completely up to release engineering.  Do see however
https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/6313
as an example.

So discussion already underway, thanks :)

Richard.