Re: Support for Radeon an nouveau?

(properly sending to the list now)

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-08-13 at 19:51 -0300, Evandro Giovanini wrote:
>
>> Looking at gnomeos-3.6.json it seems that only the vesa and intel
>> drivers are built, and mesa is built without support for modern nVidia
>> and Radeon hardware. Is there any chance of adding those? The gallium
>> drivers for some of those requires llvm too, I think.
>
> Yeah...requires building llvm which I just haven't even looked at.  From
> what I understand, it's pretty finicky with what exact version of gcc
> you have, which will be painful =/
>
> From a quick search on the internet it looks like someone's already
> written bitbake recipies:
>
> http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2012-January/037560.html
>
> Where exactly that is I'm not sure...

Just an update: I was able to build llvm 3.1 just fine on the current
gnomeos-3.6-devel tree. Then simply rebuilding mesa with the correct
options and then building xf86-video-ati was enough to get gdm-shell
and related working on my Radeon card (the shell and gdm in 3.6 is
looking fantastic, btw).

I was going mostly by the PKGBUILD files from Arch Linux for the
configure options, but I'm going to redo everything by the weekend and
then I can post exactly what parameters I used to build llvm and mesa.

Oh, and the keyboard and mouse not working problem was actually fixed
by switching to the Fedora kernel and initramfs image. Does anyone
else use a non-Fedora kernel without problems?

Anyway, using ostree has been very exciting so far. It's a really cool
piece of technology.

Off-topic: could WebKit's version be updated? The tree seems to be
building something from before GNOME 3.4.

Cheers,
Evandro