Re: [orca-list] Replacing Windows with Linux, accessibly?

Hello Jessica,
On 9/2/22 18:29, Jessica Dail via orca-list wrote:
Does anyone know of an accessible way to replace Windows11 with Linux, in a way that's fully accessible?
I would recommend to start with Debian with Mate desktop environment.
This is a really good start for beginner in Linux.
You can also try to use Fedora Mate, as far as the start for a complete blind beginner user in Linux I find it to be even better than Debian because you get the latest stable Orca and BRLTTY there. I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu because of different challenges with accessibility or you could use Ubuntu only if your sound card isn't supported by Debian installation disk. I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu due to a version of accessibility packages that is used there and it requires some knowledge to get running the latest version of Orca and BRLTTY. Of course it's needed for every distro but still for example on Fedora the chance that you need to install Orca for master after installing the distro is much less because at the beginning you can work with the stable version provided by distro. I believe it's better to work with something that is better prepared for a beginner for not getting a wrong impression.
So I would recommend you to try out Debian or Fedora Mate.
Thank you!
--
regards,
Vsevolod