Re: [orca-list] Replacing Windows with Linux, accessibly?

On 12/9/22 19:30, Rastislav Kish via orca-list wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't say Linux is less accessible than Windows. For
me, it seems more appropriate to say, that many things are done
differently on Linux than on Win.

Yes, exactly. Under Linux, the graphical user interface remains very much a convenience on top of the command line interface and configuration files - not a substitute for them.

By contrast, in Microsoft's operating systems, every option and every function seems to have a graphical tool, leading to extraordinary complexity in the graphical interface.

In my view, most Linux graphical desktop developers aren't trying to replace the power and complexity of the command line interface, but they are trying to make simple tasks easy. Hence we have deliberately simple, even minimal, graphical desktop environments, and the understanding that there's a richer, text-based interface underneath.

Fortunately, Orca supports the terminal as well as graphical applications (in so far as the latter are accessible). Then there are console-based screen readers, of course.