Re: [orca-list] Announcement: this mailing list will be retired by the end of Oct 2022

Le 20/10/2022 à 14:24, Will Estes a écrit :
On Thursday, 20 October 2022,  2:18 pm +0200, Colomban Wendling via orca-list <orca-list gnome org> wrote:

... It really could be a mailing list ...

It is currently a mailing list and gnome is breaking that without even pretending to get community input.

I'm using their Discourse as well, I'm not saying orca-list feels like a ML (I know it is one), but that Discourse messages can :) -- and the little I use it I do like so. You can also check out Didier's thread on discourse where I interacted 100% through my email client.

I think that before getting angry and setting up something new, maybe giving
it a fair shot would be good.

What is fair would be the gnome folk asking users what they actually need instead of imposing some solution
that no one asked for.

-- call me crazy, but I trust they care.

All the evidence we have says they don't care in the least. No input was saught, no evaluation was asked for
and the notice period is really short. As blind folk, we're used to being second class citizens; I appreciate
the gnome folks unmasking themselves as just the usual patronizing uncaring types who think that crumbs are
good enough.

Well, I know of the policy to move mailing lists to Discourse for a long time, and it happened a while ago for GTK and others. Admittedly I follow plenty other GNOME pieces than Orca alone, and so might have gained information that weren't properly sent to *everybody* -- not that it ever was hidden though.

And this is not new, it happened like 3 years ago, maybe even 4 (I remember some stuff going on there as early as march 2019). And I even think they did a poll at the time. But the thing with polls is that, just as the announcement, it has to reach people, and it didn't reach you, which is a shame.

I'm just saying that although this current announcement might feel like a hard hit, and maybe they should have done it better, but I would think that I'm not the only one here to have been expecting this to happen at some point for more than a while. I even think there was already such a thread in this list some time ago. It just hit hard and real now.

I hear you that a11y users always being the least visible and thought of makes it harder to accept, but I don't think it's any specific here. It just happens to *also* hit this list just as all other GNOME ones (e.g. GIMP just migrated to Discourse as well, and there was a tiny bit of friction there too because things changed).

If Discourse is not accessible enough, it's another matter. And there I would expect GNOME admin to care, and they definitely should.