Re: [orca-list] Questions about the raspberry pie

I don't know if this information is still current, but I bought and set up two Raspberry Pi 4's last year. I set the first one up with the official Raspian OS desktop Linux distribution as I didn't know what I was doing. I set the second one up headless with Raspian OS Lite, i.e. with no monitor, mouse nor keyboard since it's only being used as a music streamer.

Both versions of Raspian are based on Debian. There are a pile of hoops to jump through in order to set the Pi up with the stock standard Raspian OS distribution without sighted assistance. Here's a brief overview of what I did to get my first Pi up and running without any sighted assistance.

First, I put the Desktop version of Raspian OS on an SD. If your Pi came with a preloaded chip, it may actually come with a number of different OS's and you have to first select which OS you want to launch and set up the first time it gets powered on. By putting the Raspian OS straight onto the SD, I didn't need to worry about getting passed any menus or anything else.

Next, you'll need a keyboard and an HDMI tv/monitor. The sound will come out of the tv speakers initially. After you get it set up and talking, you can then deal with getting the sound to come out of the 3.5MM audio jack or you can attach a USB sound card or something else later. Raspian OS requires an active HDMI connection. If it does not detect an HDMI output device, it will not start the graphical user desktop. I'm aware there are ways to get around this, but I couldn't tell you how to do it myself as I haven't done it.

You'll also need a working Internet connection. The Pi four has Wi-fi, but if you can hard wire it to the local network with an ethernet cable, it saves dealing with configuring the Wi-fi connection and removes a possible point of failure before you get the Pi talking.

So, I attached the keyboard, the ethernet cable, the TV and turned the tv on. Hint: make sure the tv input selector is set to receive the signal from the Pi and not some other source and that the volume is not turned right down.
Insert the SD card into the Pi and attach it it to a power supply.
Now the SD card starts to boot and it will take quite a while the very first time because it will expand the Linux partition to use the whole capacity of the card. Eventually, you should hear a message instructing you to press a certain keyboard combination if you want to install Orca, etc. I'm not really sure, because it was such a long tie ago that I did it, but I think the key combination is Alt+Ctrl+Space. Anyway, when you hear that message, you press the indicated key combination. At that point, it will go and download all the software needed to set up Orca. That's why you need the Internet connection and why it's best not to have to do any configuration. It just goes and downloads Orca, the accessibility stack and whatever is necessary. Once that is done, Orca should come up and you should have speech throughout the rest of the set-up process. At some point it asks you about setting up Wi-fi, your country/region and timezone information etc. The Pi doesn't have a on-board clock, that is, it forgets the time every time you shut it down. However, it queries an ntp server for the current time each time you power it on, provided it has access to the Internet. Once you've got Wi-fi enabled, you can dispense with the wired network link. During initial setup, it also asks about updating the system. If you choose to do this, it can take quite a while.

Hopefully that gives you an idea what is necessary to get it up and talking with the stock standard Raspian OS distribution. However, as others have mentioned, there are alternative Linux distros available for the Pi. Also, It would be well worth joining the RaspberryVi mailing list as Jeff suggested because there are a bunch of people there who will be able to help out with any difficulties you may encounter. Also, folks there may be able to piont you to ready-to-go talking OS images for the Pi which might suit your use case better.

Hth,
Andrew.