Re: [orca-list] insync and orca

Hello,
rclone has a command line interface and also a web interface.
It supports many storage providers including traditional ones like google, dropbox, yandex and classic ones e.g. ftp or samba and many others e.g. seafile, S3 and more. It can even chain remotes to provide mirroring or encryption on the top of traditional storage backends where this is not provided e.g. you can just store encrypted content on your google drive or dropbox. It calls instances of configured storage providers remotes. Each remote has its configuration options derived from what the storage provider needs and the name. Configuration of these remotes is stored inside a file called ~/.config/rclone/rclone.conf . It's good to know since moving remotes to a different user profile or to entirely different system is verry possible when copying that file. There is an android based app called RCX. It has rclone embedded inside and on top of that it does also support android specific features e.g. it perfectly handles android's storage access framework meaning with RCX setup you no longer need seperate FTP, Samba, dropbox, Google drive, One drive... whatever client apps and you can just use a single APP and access all your remotes in your prefered SAF capable file manager on android. RCX also has file manager like features. Moving remotes configuration from linux with rclone to android with RCX is also working great and the other way round is working too.
Rclone will even work on windows.
Setting up remotes is not difficult there is an interactive setup when you call
rclone config
from the CLI.
rclone has various subcommands
rclone move
rclone copy
rclone sync
rclone delete
rclone link
rclone mount
It supports wildcards.
It can operate on either direction i.e. remote to local, local to remote and even remote to different remote. Be ware rclone sync really does what it states it sync source with the destination so if the destination is containing something you would like to preserve don't sync to it. rclone mount is kind of special. On linux you can use it to mount a remote storage through fuse. Caching is also configurable. On android rclone mount is hooked to SAF so it's working native to the platform. I do have all my remotes mounted to respective folders named after the remote inside the ~/rclone folder. So If I have rclone remote called mygoogledrive I do also have a folder ~/rclone/mygoogledrive .
I am starting rclone mount by using systemd --user service file like this...
# ~/.configure/systemd/user/rclone@.service
[Unit]
Description=rclone mount for %i
Wants=network-online.target
After=network-online.target
[Service]
Type=notify
Environment=RCLONE_CONFIG=%h/.config/rclone/rclone.conf
KillMode=none
RestartSec=5
ExecStart=/usr/bin/rclone --buffer-size 64M --vfs-cache-mode full mount %i: %h/rclone/%i
ExecStop=/usr/bin/fusermount -uz %h/rclone/%i
[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

After creating a folder inside ~/rclone and configuring a remote with rclone config I can start or enable it like this
systemctl --user enable rclone@mygoogledrive
systemctl --user start rclone@mygoogledrive
If a service is enabled it will automagically start on login so I can have all my remotes connected right after booting up my pc.

I'm sorry for a long post but rclone is really the master piece. It will run almost anywhere and it really has great powers. If you are unsure just google, the manual and help are also available online where you don't have to read it full but you can choose the part you need explaining e.g. specific storage provider or specific subcommand like mount or link.

Greetings

Peter

Dňa 21. 10. 2021 o 11:39 Didier Spaier via orca-list napísal(a):
Hi Jude and all,

To install rclone (repackage official binary) on Slint type as root:

slapt-src -i rclone.

then as regular user for help:
rclone -h

There is also a man page, but it is 3527 miles long so better rely on the help.

Cheers,
Didier