Re: [orca-list] Heads up: New versioning scheme

Hi,
Just to clarify here first - I was talking about GNOME in my previous e-mail (I've replied to Joannie's
message, but it was accidentally to her e-mail address and not to the list).
So... No, version numbers are not just for determining if there is a new version and which one it is. Having
two versions with the same major number means for all users that the changes in the new version won't break
compatibility with the old one. I. e. whatever worked with the old version should be also expected to work
with the new one. Nothing is removed and nothing is changed in a such way that requires changes from the side
of the user.
Changing the major version number doesn't necessarily mean that there will be incompatible changes, but
allows it and doesn't exclude it.  However, it's usually why it's done. And GNOME developers want it, because
they don't want to care about compatibility.

--
Best wishes,
Zahari

  Mewtamer via orca-list wrote:
Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 09:33:48PM +0000

Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds like they're essentially
just dropping the initial 3. and switching from a 3-part version
number to a 2-part one, perhaps with plans for the 40.x line to last
longer than the 3.38.x and 3.39.x lines did.

And in all fairness, doesn't every new release of any package carry
some risk of breaking things that previously worked regardless of how
the powers that be decide to number stuff? And have version numbers
ever really meant anything other than being an easy way for package
managers to know when the version in the repository is newer than the
installed version?