Re: [orca-list] Heads up: New versioning scheme

Hi,
That simply means, that every new version has the absolute power  to
completely eradicate every compatibility with any previous version. It
practically renders the version number meaningless. It's now just some
increment.
That's absolute hell to any third party developer. And accessibility?
It's the edge of the universe. I don't expect anything good.

--
Best wishes,
Zahari

  Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 06:23:57PM +0100

Hey all.

As described on:
https://discourse.gnome.org/t/new-gnome-versioning-scheme/4235

The next version of GNOME, due to be released in March 2021, will be
GNOME 40.

The GNOME 40 development cycle will have three releases:

40.alpha
40.beta
40.rc
Followed by the first stable release, 40.0. Every subsequent stable
release will increment the minor component by 1, so:

40.1, 40.2, 40.3, …
After the 40.0 release in March 2021, the next version of GNOME will
be 41, and will follow the exact same pattern.

To recap:

the new versioning scheme starts at 40
each new development cycle will increment the version by 1
each development cycle will have three releases: alpha, beta, rc
(release candidate)
the first stable release will have a minor version of 0
each stable release will increment the minor version by 1

So if you checkout Orca master it will now claim to be version 40.beta.
to match the release version I should have done the other day. Once I
do the beta release (hope to fix another bug or two first), Orca master
will then claim to be 40.rc.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this. Thanks!
--joanie