Re: [orca-list] Heads up: New versioning scheme

inline...

W dniu 16.02.2021 o 22:33, Mewtamer via orca-list pisze:
Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds like they're essentially
just dropping the initial 3. and switching from a 3-part version
number to a 2-part one, perhaps with plans for the 40.x line to last
longer than the 3.38.x and 3.39.x lines did.
but, only for gnome itself and gnome apps, if I get it correctly. Libs
are not necessarily affected.

And in all fairness, doesn't every new release of any package carry
some risk of breaking things that previously worked regardless of how
the powers that be decide to number stuff? And have version numbers
ever really meant anything other than being an easy way for package
managers to know when the version in the repository is newer than the
installed version?