Re: [orca-list] Accessible Rolling Release Distro

On Thu, 3 Sep 2020, Nimer Jaber via orca-list wrote:

I was looking for a rolling release to hopefully make the process of
upgrading less painful, as it can be in Ubuntu and Fedora. This is for an
individual I know, who lacks the skills to get out of jams where the system
won't boot, there may be errors about the kernel, etc. It seems that Debian
may be the answer, with the text installer.

If stability is essential, I highly recommend Debian Stable.

It won't have the latest packages and I can't promise that things won't ever break, but it's very unlikely to.

The user should consult the release notes before upgrading to a new release version, to avoid any known incompatibilities.

If the user needs certain newer packages, such as Orca, they can get them from Debian Backports.

It's also a good idea for them to subscribe to debian-accessibility (it's not busy).

HTH,
Geoff.