[orca-list] OT: Fedora freezes when HDMI monitor isn't connected, workaround?

Sorry, I know this isn't Orca-related. I'm about to move in with my girlfriend to help her out in case of corona, am packing my desktop, and would like to quickly figure out a solution for this if possible. I'd rather not subscribe to another mailing list just for a couple days so I can get an answer.

My desktop has an HDMI out connected to a monitor. I have it plugged into a screen that is usually turned off, but if I disconnect HDMI completely, the system runs for a bit and then freezes. Or if I boot without a monitor connected, I never get any spoken feedback from GDM. I don't think it's accessibility/Orca-related, since I can't even adjust the volume and hear the volume-adjustment noises GNOME makes. Plugging in the monitor restores operation.

I'm about to move my desktop over to my girlfriend's. Since I don't need a monitor, I'd rather not bring it, but it seems like I have to bring *something* in order to even use the thing. Is it possible to use my desktop without a monitor connected? If so, what incantations do I need to make it happen?

Worst case, I have a tiny touchscreen HDMI monitor I bought for another project. I'd rather avoid needing that, both because it's fragile, and because plugging it in tells X that my display is tiny, so I only get 20 or so flat review lines in gnome-terminal. That's very painful during development. What I'd like is some way of making X believe I have a huge HDMI monitor connected so I get lots of flat review capacity without having to lug a bulky or fragile screen I don't need. I have a couple days to figure out a solution, so any help is welcome.

Thanks!