If I understood correctly and if my memory serves me correctly, it seems that the automatic detection of the presence of a screen reader was returning several false positives.

It looks like this would be causing some performance issues for chromium users who don't use screen readers.

While investigating the cause they found it best to disable automatic detection.

On 6/21/20 3:07 PM, sonfire11--- via orca-list wrote:
Right, but that wasn't the question. The original problem wanted to know why
Chrome unstable 83 in Mate worked without the flag, but now Chrome unstable
85 does require it.

From: orca-list <orca-list-bounces gnome org> On Behalf Of Nolan Darilek
Sent: Sunday, June 21, 2020 10:00 AM
To: orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] Chrome unstable and force-renderer-accessible

You spelled the argument wrong. --force-renderer-accessibility

On 6/21/20 12:46 PM, sonfire11--- via orca-list wrote:

Hi,

Some time ago, I used Chrome unstable 83.0 in Ubuntu 20.04. Everything
worked except for a focus problem on initial Chrome startup. Yesterday, I
updated Chrome unstable to 85.x. Now, everything is broken. Chrome unstable
85 requires force-renderer-accessible when it didn't before, and it appears
that setting ACCESSIBILITY_ENABLED=1 makes no difference. Can anyone confirm
this problem, or advise on what to do from here? I use Ubuntu 20.04 with
Orca master and Mate 1.24.

GNOME Universal Access guide: