Re: [orca-list] off-topic: At a meeting, people say they hear the screen reader.

That'd be my guess. I wonder if they hear it clearly, as if it was being used through their own speakers, or faintly in the background. Could be audio from the headphones leaking into the mic, and it probably sounds close enough to speech that noise cancellation doesn't identify it. I'm guessing noise cancellation subtracts the other participant's noise so the speakers don't feed back, not your own screen reader, which it assumes is someone talking on your end.