Re: [orca-list] Announcing Speech Switch: making Linux a hospitable place for TTS engines like Voxin

I agree, including the sd_voxin source would help a lot.  I tried to recompile sd_voxin from the Oralux git repo, but there appears to be some functions missing from the code base (e.g. voxToString).  The pre-built binary returns 21 from main, but I don't see code that could have generated that error, and since I can't rebuild it fromk source, I can't debug it.  The older sd_ibmtts engine is reading all the `PF commands to control the punctuation of ibmtts as characters, rather than setting punctuation, which is anoying, but I can live with it for now.

I run a beta version of Google's internal Debian-based Linux so that when a11y breaks I can help fix it before it hits all our blind Googlers who use our internal distro.  Espeak works fine, but I think most of us rely on Voxin.  I don't have any ideas for fixing the problem without access to the full sd_voxin source, so I'm writing a new Speech-Dispatcher module, which I'm calling speechsw.  I've got a portable binary for ibmtts that works from the command line, so I just need to finish the speechsw module to have a more stable alternative folks can fall back to when sd_voxin stops working.

I hope I can work with the Speech-Dispatcher deves to offer this new module bundled in Speech-Dispatcher once it is ready and the code is approved by the team.  The main benefit is the ability to copy the sub-modules I've built between distros and have them just work.  I currently put the sub modules are currently in /usr/lib/speechsw.  The new Speech-Dispatcher module talkes to the sub-modules over stdin/stdout, just like Speech-Dispatcher talks to modules.  If the new speechsw module were compiled for each release of each distro just like the Espeak modules, it should be reliable, and the binaries in /usr/lib/speechsw should work on any distro.

Anyway, this is the only way I currently see to get Eloquence working quickly on our internal Linux distro, and blind coworkers are likely to have their favorite TTS break soon.  I hope to have a solution for them in a few days.