Re: [orca-list] Tips and tricks for Orca and Firefox

Hello,

Orca shortcuts work quite reliably, infact, I don't remember seeing one to fail.

The problem is, that Orca doesn't allow, or at least i didn't find a way, how to turn off the automatic focus mode. I was always turning it off on Windows where possible, and this feature would be great on Linux as well, because the two modes are too different from each other to be switched by automated mechanism.

The fact, that this is actually happening then leads to exactly those situations, that navigation keys seemingly don't work, but in reality, one is just stuck in focus mode.

But otherwise, reactions are very good, just today I switched for a while to Windows to set up some things there and perform some research tasks, and I was truly amazed, how slow is FF on Win.

Youtube in my case works without any problems, the video can be controlled with j, k and l keys, of course after pressing orca+backspace.

I usually approach the controls either from the top by pressing b about 10 times, or by firstly targeting the search edit field and then pressing b about 5 times. The same approach as on Win.

And besides already mentioned tricks, I will add, that you can read answers to comments by tabbing through names instead of moving by pressing down arrow.

i.e. you hit show x answers under a comment, and then tab until you find an author's name, pres down arrow to read the answer, tab again to get to another author's name, again read the answer with down arrow, etc.

This way, you can read the answers quite confortably, Orca normally skips this region for some reason.

Best regards

Rastislav

Dňa 14. 8. 2020 o 22:56 Jeanette C. via orca-list napísal(a):
Hey hey,
thank you for your detailed reply. As regards the specifics to youtube, this is very helpful and might improve the operation greatly. I did see (almost) all the keyboard commands, but found that sometimes they didn't work, even though I knew that there had to be buttons, b wouldn't do anything. I can't yet say how to reproduce this (mis)behaviour though.

Regarding hotkeys/keyboard controls defined by a website: how well do these work with Orca? I'm sure they won't work in Browse mmode. How do you deal with that? Just switch modes whenever you need a web shortcut?

Would you have a tip for getting a good overview of the whole Firefox application, i.e. a structural representation of elements within the program (tabs, toolbars, attached windows, etc..)?

Best wishes and thanks for the tips,

Jeanette

Aug 14 2020, Mewtamer has written:

Personally, YouTube isn't the most screen reader friendly website out
there. Lots of extraneous buttons that make getting to the controls of
the active video harder than it should be, comments are a mess with
lots of hidden text and lots of controls that are hard to skip for
seamless reading, there's a trick to even locating the comments
section of a video page... and at least on my system, even with
YouTube videos at 100%, I have to bump up my system volume to the
point Orca is screaming my ears to hear most videos.

That said, some tips for making the most of YouTube's not very
accessible interface:

On a video page, the title is a level 1 heading, cthe comments start
with a level 2 heading, and the links to suggested videos are level 3
headings. When Orca is in browse mode, pressing the h key will jump to
the next heading indiscriminately, and using the number row 1-6 will
jump to headings at specific levels. Like with other Orca navigational
hotkeys, you can use shift+ the hotkey to jump backwards and
alt+shift+hotkey to bring up a list of elements of the given type.

The video controls on a YouTube video page are right above the Level 1
heading with the Video's title and the controls for favoriting, adding
to personal playlists, and information on the video are below this
heading. If you press b on the keyboard when you first load a video
page, sometimes this will put focus on the play button, but sometimes
there will be several buttons from YouTube's top navigation to cycle
through first. From the play button, shitf+tab will bring you to the
progress slider and then the skip add button when available and
tabbing will bring you to the next button and then the volume slider.
There are other controls, but these are the ones I use most.

In addition to H for headings, 1-6 on the number row for specific
level headings, and b for buttons, some other navigational hotkeys I
find useful include:

A for JavaScript clickables(alt+shift+a to bring up the list of all
such elements is particularly useful here since these often don't
respond to keyboard input and selecting one from the list and tabbing
a few times to the activate button is often the easiest way to
activate these controls)
C for comboboxes
e for text entry(note that you'll need to use Orca+a to switch to
focus mode if you actually want to type in one)
g for graphics
i for list items
l for lists
q for block quotes
r for radio buttons
s for separators
t for tables
x for check boxes.

I think k, u, and v also jump to links, unvisited links, and visited
links respectively, but I've never found them that useful.

Naturally, which, if any of the above navigational hotkeys are useful
varies greatly from site to site, though I find using h to cycle
through the headings is often a good first step when orienting myself
to an unfamiliar website.