Re: [orca-list] OT: I need advice on using windows

Well, I personally have no problem with your asking this on this list
except that you might get better answers on other lists. I'd recommend
blind-sysadmins lists hodgsonfamily org.

I do a lot of Windows support and i settled on just getting a 2nd
machine. There are just too many latency issues, sound card issues, USB
connectivity issues with virtual machines. My 2nd machine is dual boot
but it is usually booted into Windows. I don't know, hardware is cheap
these days. If your livelihood depends on it, investing in a 2nd machine
might be worth it. In fact, with so many machines sitting in empty
offices, if you have an employer, you might be able to get them to loan
you a second machine.

Having said that though, I will admit I haven't tried any virtualization
package besides VirtualBox for several years. I used to use VMWare
Workstation because my employer had a site license. At the time, I
didn't find that VMWare Workstation was a significantly better product
than the free/open-source VirtualBox. It didn't offer more options,
didn't run noticeably faster, and wasn't significantly easier to
configure. And VirtualBox was more accessible. VirtualBox has a really
nice command line interface that allows you to do everything you can do
in the GUI. In fact, I can send you a bash script that will create a
virtual machine and install Windows 10 on it.

So even though I had free access to VMWare Workstation, i switched to
VirtualBox and have been using it ever since. But my comparison of
VMWare Workstation and VirtualBox is probably 7 or 8 years out of date
by now.