Re: [orca-list] Strange behavior when using the role attribute in websites

Hello,

Well, first thing we need to be aware of is what is the difference between browse mode and focus mode.
When orca ís switched into the browse mode it consumes some key presses e).g. arrow keys, quick navigation keys, page up / page down keys, home / end keys.
When orca is switched into the focus mode it consumes no keypresses.

Expanding from that it becomes obvious web authors have to implement keyboard navigation them-selves For made up interactive widgets. Actually this is the other way round, screen readers have adopted focus mode vs browse mode navigation paradigm because it was needed to pass some key presses to the web app.
I.e. if you tell screen readers to treat div as a toolbar, you should also implement toolbar like behaviour for that div.

Similarly for the other widgets like grids, lists, menus and more.

Greetings

Peter

Dňa May 5, 2019 1:36:40 AM UTC používateľ Andy Borka via orca-list <orca-list gnome org> napísal:
It behaves just as it does on google.com with the search field. The
toolbar is the first object that appears in the rendered html source.
When the page loads, Orca automatically goes into focus mode. This is a
page with Bootstrap 4 on it. Otherwise I did not set focus to the
toolbar. I didn't know that an author had to create their own navigation
within certain containers such as toolbar, tree, and others. I assumed
the screen reader did it for you since JAWS and NVDA already do it.
Sorry for the confusion.