Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 13:40:38
From: Chrys <chrys linux-a11y org>
To: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel panix com>
Cc: Matthew Dyer <ilovecountrymusic483 gmail com>, orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] console based screen readers

Howdy,

Fenrir uses desktop layout by default. Must be a change made by the distro.

Sounds like its configured to  terminal emulation mode for you.
The terminal emulation mode (I name it PTY driver, PTY = pseudo teletype, this is what is used when you
start gnome-terminal or mate-terminal).

Using the terminal emulation has some restrictions by the design of how an  PTY works special to shortcuts.
All kind of input sythese an Combination of characters what is parsed by the terminal i.e. ^C is control +
C. This is named an escape sequence.
Problem is 1. not all keys emit an escape sequence by theyre own. control, shift and alt are some of them.
Those are named modifiers as they change the  result of an combination but dont do any output when pressed
alone. So fenrir cannot react to presses on control, shift, capslock and alt as it doesnt get the shortcut
from the terminal.
For this, fenrir offers special keyboard layouts what are optimized for PTY. you find them in Keyboard
Layouts  folder in /etc/fenrirscreenreader/keyboard
Named pty.conf and pty2.conf as an alternative).

I hope this helps. If you need more help send me the used settings.conf file to give me a chance to see
what settings are used there.

Its also possible to use fenrir with PTY emulation but EVDEV input driver. The EVDEV driver is single
instance, so it could only used by one of your fenrir instances on an TTY. EVDEV is the linux event device.
So fenrir can grab all key press and key releases from the kernel. This needs access to /dev/input/* and
/dev/uinput.
The EVDEV driver is used by the background daemon.

Do you run fenrir and orca on the same TTY? So on desktop? Or do you use fenrir to read non desktop TTYs?

Cheers chrys