Re: [orca-list] Editable text becomes "about:blank" in Thunderbird 60.2.1

If you're saying you haven't upgraded orca since the thunderbird bug manifested itself, I'd say it makes perfect sense that you don't have the fix. You can't fix a bug before it occurs, not usually. Actually I am not entirely sure what happens if you install a package from backports and then do a normal dist-upgrade. Does it remember you installed from backports and check there for yet another upgrade? I doubt it. You probably have to type in the command to install from backports again.

I just tested the fix before I wrote my little howto. I had to in order to make sure I could write it up correctly. It works for me. The version of orca in debian stretch is 3.22 but, right now, in stretch-backports, it's 3.30. There's no reason it couldn't have been 3.28 or something a few weeks ago.

BTW, the version of orca in both ubuntu bionic and bionic-backports is 3.28. It looks like the fix has not gotten into ubuntu bionic at all. The good news is that according to the ubuntu web site, ubuntu cosmic/18.10 is due out tomorrow. Most likely, you will be able to install the fix by doing a do-release-upgrade.