Re: [orca-list] Orca not starting under 4.17.2 kernel

Hello, Aalin:

Yes, I actually have 5 audio devices on my primary desktop and I really
do use all of them. Getting a particular application to correctly
address output to the card I want is one of the more frustrating
experiences I've had in Linux over my 20 some years of Linux use.

Two of these cards are for screen readers. hw:0 for Speakup in the
console, hw:1 for Orca over Speech-Dispatcher in the graphical Desktop.

I currently have hw:2 specified as my default device in /etc/asound.conf
because linphone, when last it actually worked, would only talk to the
default alsa device. So, that was my hack to get my headset correctly
associated with my SIP phone.

Here's my card list:

$aplay -l
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892
    Digital]
      Subdevices: 1/1
        Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
        card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
          Subdevices: 1/1
            Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
            card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
              Subdevices: 1/1
                Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
                card 1: Device [C-Media USB Audio Device], device 0: USB
                Audio [USB Audio]
                  Subdevices: 0/1
                    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
                    card 2: Headset [Sennheiser USB Headset], device 0:
                    USB Audio [USB Audio]
                      Subdevices: 1/1
                        Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
                        card 3: AV710 [Chaintech AV-710], device 0:
                        ICE1724 [ICE1724]
                          Subdevices: 1/1
                            Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
                            card 3: AV710 [Chaintech AV-710], device 1:
                            ICE1724 IEC958 [ICE1724 IEC958]
                              Subdevices: 1/1
                                Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
                                card 3: AV710 [Chaintech AV-710], device
                                2: ICE1724 Surrounds [ICE1724 Surround
                                PCM]
                                  Subdevices: 2/2
                                    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0