[orca-list] Orca not starting under 4.17.2 kernel

Hi,

In the past 24 hours I've updated two Arch installations to latest
release packages which includes the 4.17.2 kernel. In both cases I'm
unable to get Orca to run, though the errors are a bit different in each
case. I suspect I'm going to resolve this by down versioning my
kernel--at least on one machine.

Here's what I get ...

Machine 1 gets speech-dispatcher errors, so that spd-say does not work.
Attempting to restart Orca shows:
$export DISPLAY=:0
janina@concerto 11:32:24 hwdev$orca -r

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/orca/speech.py", line 106, in
  init
      settings.speechServerInfo)
        File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/orca/speech.py", line 95,
        in _initSpeechServer
            raise Exception("ERROR: No speech server for factory: %s" %
            moduleName)
            Exception: ERROR: No speech server for factory:
            orca.speechdispatcherfactory

            During handling of the above exception, another exception
            occurred:

            Traceback (most recent call last):
              File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/orca/speech.py",
              line 112, in init
                  _initSpeechServer(moduleName, None)
                    File
                    "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/orca/speech.py",
                    line 95, in _initSpeechServer
                        raise Exception("ERROR: No speech server for
                        factory: %s" % moduleName)
                        Exception: ERROR: No speech server for factory:
                        speechdispatcherfactory

Machine 2: spd-say works as expected. This is on a late 2013 vintage
Apple Airbook running Arch off a USB 3.0 flash drive.
$export DISPLAY=:0
janina@toccata 11:42:40 ~$orca -r
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/orca", line 44, in <module>
      from orca import orca
        File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/orca/orca.py", line 81,
        in <module>
            from . import sound
              File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/orca/sound.py",
              line 163, in <module>
                  _player = Player()
                    File
                    "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/orca/sound.py",
                    line 55, in __init__
                        self.init()
                          File
                          "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/orca/sound.py",
                          line 123, in init
                              self._pipeline.add(self._sink)
                              TypeError: Argument 1 does not allow None
                              as a value

--

Janina Sajka

Linux Foundation Fellow