Re: [orca-list] Orca 3.29.3 hopefully coming to an unstable distro near you

Joanmarie Diggs writes:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe another option for folks who want
to have Orca master from the safety and convenience of a package
manager, is to use Arch as your distro. I don't know the details, so
hopefully Arch users can help out others who want to pursue this route.

Exactly. Arch provides something called the Arch User Repository (AUR).
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository

In the AUR there is a script that can be used to install Orca Master
called orca-git. It follows a common practice on the AUR for enabling
easy installation of leading edge package development versions, i.e.
there are many -git scripts on the AUR. Here's relevant info on
orca-git:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/orca-git

There are also front ends to the standard AUR makepkg app that provide
the functionality of pacman so that, once the front end is installed and
configured, one can update to the last master with a command like the
following:

pacaur -S orca-git

As I say all this I also hasten to add that there are caveats and
various security concerns over which process to follow in using the aUR,
probably even about using it at all. Note also that orca-git needs an
update inasmuch as the GNOME packages have moved since Microsoft bought
github.

Janina

Lastly, long-time members of this list might have noticed that I tend to
say things like "please test master" but then leave it to others to
explain how to go about doing it. There are a couple of reasons for
this: For one thing, others on this list have this knowledge. And
leaving the explaining to them frees me up to work on things like
improving Orca. So many thanks to all of the explainers!! :)

That said, the other reason I refrain from answering these sorts of
questions is this: It's not too hard to screw up your system, causing
Orca to not work as expected -- or at all -- when building and
installing Orca along with its dependencies from source. It probably
won't happen. But if I were to give you instructions, and you were to
break something badly enough to make your system inaccessible to you, I
not only would feel awful -- I also might not be able to help you from
here due to lack of time and lack of familiarity with your particular
distro or set up.

So.... I encourage -- and greatly appreciate -- testing of master for
those who have the skills needed. I encourage community members with
copious spare time to support each other in doing this testing. But I
hope no one minds if I focus on improving Orca while you all test and
support each other.

Thank you for your understanding!
--joanie