Re: [orca-list] Mate a11y bugs

Le 09/02/2018 à 13:19, kendell clark a écrit :
Hi

Hi Kendell,

That’s more than reasonable. I’ll try to condense that long email

I use antergos 18.02, which you can get at antergos.com.

On boot, orca speaks and works fine, although they use a gnome base and not a mate one. Mate is available as an option in their installer.

Once installed, orca will not speak unless as far as I can tell, I get lucky and it decides, more or less randomly, to speak after both it and speech dispatcher are killed. This is with orca and speech dispatcher at their stable versions

Orca 3.26, speech dispatcher 0.8.8 I believe.

If I can get orca speaking, it will work normally, if a little slowly, for a few sessions.

After which it will just randomly not speak when the system is booted. I can’t pin it down

If I use Ubuntu mate, these issues don’t happen, so clearly it’s something with newer software, but I can’t pin it down beyond that.

I'm not sure it's due to new software, on Debian testing those issue doesn't happen. Maybe you could try to upgrade your Ubuntu version to 17.10 or switch to Debian testing.

Ubuntu mate is using mate 1.12, orca 3.18, and speech dispatcher 0.8.6 I think, although I’m not sure about speech. Orca is pretty firmly at 3.18 though, because when I tried to build orca from git, at-spi and friends were too old and orca wouldn’t build.

Yes, indeed, Joanie has decided to not support old distributions. I have to use Orca 3.24 because Orca master doesn't compile on Debian 8.

either hooked to pidgin or libpurple instead of empathy. That’s a  little off topic though. The most pressing issue at least in my opinion is atril’s continued inaccessibility. It’s mate’s built in ebook viewer and as far as I know orca still can’t read it, although joanie says this isn’t her bug, it has something to do with atril or webkit, I can’t remember.

If you want to help on testing Atril, could you comment this pull request: https://github.com/mate-desktop/atril/pull/285#issuecomment-352017050

Best regards.
--
Alex ARNAUD