Re: [orca-list] Lightdm/getting Orca to speak

Depending on the machine, the alsa backend of speech-dispatcher can sometimes crash the speech-dispatcher process. I have also used machines where the alsa backend offers no speech output at all. Killing the Pulseaudio session or causing it to exit when idle seems like overkill, and the latter may even cause some systems to become less responsive, but if you experience any crashes or no speech output when changing the backend in speech-dispatcher, the other options are available to you. I have killed Pulseaudio at the end of a session, and this was the most reliable option, though I didn't try causing it to exit immediately after playing to see what would happen. I like that option the best on multiuser systems, because nothing grabs the sound card and holds on while no sound is being played ... if it works.

Imetumwa kutoka ngoma yangu