Re: [orca-list] laptop recommendations

And which installer do you use for installing Fedora? The graphical one or the tty?Am 01.09.2017 um 12:43 schrieb Nick Wood:
Hi,

I can't recommend any up to date hardware as my own laptop is about 4 years old, so I too would be interested to know what latest generation hardware works well if anyone has any recommendations.

However, I can tell you what works for me regarding Linux and accessibility in general:

I chose Fedora as my distribution. I found the Debian/Ubuntu flavours weren't quite bleeding edge enough for me, which is important with all the advances in accessibility stacks. Yes you can add extra PPA's to update bits but I just preferred the cleaner approach of having a more modern setup overall. Arch was a little bit too bleeding edge for me. There are plenty of users on here who use Arch and have no issues with it, but for me Fedora was a nice middle ground between Ubuntu and Arch.

I don't use Speakup, but as far as Orca goes it is very actively developed, as you will find if you stick around on this list.

I now use Linux (Fedora) with Orca as my main machine for my day job, and spin up Windows virtual machines inside VMWare for the parts of my job that require Windows.

It is a setup that (generally) works very well for me, as a totally blind user.

HTH,

Nick