Re: [orca-list] Hmm! Another really weird Thunderbird observation

My understanding of Gmail is a bit different. It's true you don't have folders. Each message has a bunch of labels attached to it, and what looks like a folder is the list of all of the messages that have that label attached to it. For example, when you delete a message you remove all of the labels and add a trash label to the message. When you look in the trash folder, you're seeing all of the messages that have this trash label. The all folder simply shows you every message on the server no matter what label it has.

I suspect you're right though that since IMAP isn't actually deleting anything from the server, when you look at the account with a client set up to use POP3, all of those messages will be downloaded. I'm not familiar with this expunge option when it comes to an IMAP setup though, so I could be all wet.