Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2017 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: [orca-list] I definitely need some major major help with Gnome Tweak Tool

Hello,

Unfortunatelly there might be minor differences caused by the different gnome versions. If you are running ubuntu 17.10 you are perhaps running Gnome 3.24. If you are using Ubuntu 17.04 most likelly you are running Gnome 3.22 and I am running Gnome 3.26 on Arch linux right now.

Tab / shift+tab vs ctrl+tab / ctrl+shift+tab is easy. If you move into a list sometimes pressing the tab key moves outside that list. This is when you are working with pre Gnome 3.10 apps. However more recent apps allow tab key navigation to the individual list items so in order to move past or before the list you need ctrl+tab / ctrl+shift+tab.

As for other new GTK+3 controls I am not sure if there are some general rules to follow. I have managed to grasp it some how so I can remember most of the cases. If I land on something I am not sure about I'll simply move around tryingtab and shift+tab first, then I'm continuing with up and down arrow keys and finally trying left and right arrow keys.
Just in case I might have forgotten something I think you should skim the Gnome keyboard shortcuts reference wiki page Andy has recommended us to look at tonight.
I think with 3rd party apps such oddities can be also be seen on other platforms including Windows. However here even apps native to a given platform e.g. Gnome 3 are not 100% consistent when providing keyboard navigation, it's why I think we need a bit of an extra work to master it.
Newertheless perhaps I'm crazy enough but I still like this very much.

Greetings

Peter

I think, Peter, what is confusing me is two things. Firstly, I'm not understanding the difference in tabbing and shift tabbing, vs. control! tabbing and control shift tabbing.

Secondly, I'm not making the connection between knowing when to control tab, vs. when to just simply tab. Also knowing when to right arrow, vs. when to down arrow to move through things. Is this more experimentation, or is there actually a little rule of thumb here which doesn't always work, but could! help me with determining.

BTW, thanks, I found that things didn't quite work as you said in the tweak app as far as how you said to arrow around, however your instructions were 99.999% accurate, and through them, I was able to figure it out.

Now, my only problem is I don't totally get why when I checked off external drives, is it showing my CD drive, even though there isn't a CD or DVD in it. I know we were working earlier this morning with that one DVD, I talked about on list, but I did eject that disk. I know I did, as it's right here on my desk in front of me. LOL!
---
Christopher Gilland