Re: [orca-list] Trying Mate, but having a very minor issue

First off, Welcome Back, Chris!

The way Ubuntu has configured Mate, I find that I use 'ctrl+alt+esc' to switch from windows to panels, and back again.  For best results, use 'ctrl+alt+d' to minimize all windows, and get to the desktop. Presses of 'ctrl+alt+esc' should cycle among desktop, bottom panel, and top panel.  Since you installed Mate on top of Ubuntu with Unity, you may find something on top panel called Indicator Applet Complete, which groups volume, wifi, bluetooth, and battery setup in an extra menu.

Since Ubuntu installation is so quick, and this is a clean machine, I'd just install the ubuntu-mate 1y6.04 system.  You won't have the clutter from Unity, and your network manager applet should be accessible in the normal way.

HTH,

Dave