Re: [orca-list] Making Chromium work with Orca

Hello,

On 11/13/2017 11:04 AM, Christopher Chaltain wrote:
I used sighted assistance to install ChromeVox with Chrome. There used to be a way to get this working without sighted assistance, but I don't

Yes!
http://speakup.linux-speakup.narkive.com/5OZ5X2vI/instructions-for-doing-an-eyes-free-install-of-chromevox-on-linux

know if that method still works or not. Also, you couldn't get Chromium to work with ChromeVox on Debian based systems due to a compile time

It works now in stretch.

setting. Again, I don't know if this has changed or not.

I just added a call to speech-dispatcher :
sudo vi /etc/chromium.d/default-flags
Add those lines at the end of file:

# Enable speech-dispatcher
export CHROMIUM_FLAGS="$CHROMIUM_FLAGS --enable-speech-synthesis --enable-speech-dispatcher"

I think ChromeVox gives a good experience when navigating around web site and the web, but it does use a different approach and some very unique key sequences, so it may not be for everyone.

I totally dislike but I don't use everyday, just for skype.

You don't need to shutdown Orca when using ChromeVox. Orca just doesn't speak anything from Chrome, so all you hear is ChromeVox.

Yes.

Regards,

Raphaël