Re: [orca-list] High latency when a window is not responding

Hi, Joanie,

Joanmarie Diggs (2017/01/31 15:00 +0100):
Hi Raphaël.

I will see if I can improve this. But when an application becomes
non-responsive, Orca doesn't know that until it tries to find out
information about the application and AT-SPI2 times out. And that
process of innocently asking for information and not getting a timely
response back is the source of the latency.

Do you mean that the request to at-spi2 blocks until the timeout is
reached, so that Orca can not do anything meanwhile?

If that's the case, would it perhaps be possible to have the request to
at-spi2 be done by a separate thread, so that Orca can continue to do
other things while waiting? It could then detect the problem and do
something. This of course does not solve the problem itself, as you
noted, but it could enhance user experience.

Although I guess if Orca is not multi-threaded now then making it
threads-based would be quite a large piece of work.

Shérab.