Re: [orca-list] Skype for Linux

Microsoft is moving away from putting all of their prosperity eggs in to the OS basket, and while of course
change can take a lot of pushing to overcome
the inertia of a huge company like MS, they are certainly not the company of 10-20 years ago that had leaders
saying things to the effect of Linux is
a menace.
They are not even the company of 5 or 6 years ago, still very bloated and out of touch in many ways according
to what I read and hear.
Does this mean we are going to see microsoft donating a few million to solve Xnix accessibility problems, or
making sure skype is as usable for those
running Linux as it is on windows, I doubt it, but the attitudes toward Linux at MS has changed, and is
continuing to change, and while I certainly
won't be blindly trusting MS to do the right thing all the time, I am more optimistic than I was even 2 years
ago as to the chances of seeing a
Microsoft that is a more responsible and less adversarial force than we have known for over two decades.
I certainly think it is worth the while of anyone who uses skype and Linux to communicate in any and all ways
with Microsoft to explain our issues, ask,
and if need be push very hard for good accessiblity, ASAP, not dribbled out over a couple or 3 years.
Those of you who who do not use and or like skype for your political or ethical concerns, FSF purists for
example, are of course welcome to join in with
Skype users in pressing MS to make a good skkype4linux real, but I totally get why you either dop not want to
at all or just do not have time and energy
to fight for stuff you don't use &/or care about.
Those of you who use Skype, especially those who use it regularly for school or work should certainly do your
part.
I can go months with out using skype, but at times do need it to work for me, so please, if anyone hears of
any progress on the Linux skype access
front, post to the list, or contact me privately so that we can learn from and work with one another.
Regards,

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Kyle wrote:
Sun, Feb 05, 2017 at 01:54:35PM -0500

According to B. Henry:
this is yet another reminder of how little respect
Linux gets as a consumer, or end user OS.

Seriously, does anyone believe even now that MICROSOFT respects
DESKTOP LINUX or its users? Microsoft is the single large
multinational corporation that has been most responsible for the
marketing that has marginalized the Linux desktop for many years,
and "platinum member of the Linux Foundation" or not, this is not
likely to change any time soon. In Microsoft's long-held view, Linux
should be relegated to the data center and a small handful of freaky
geekies and nothing more. Supporting Linux on the desktop would mean
shooting themselves in the wallet, as it would be in their opinion
an admission that our OS is superior to the OS that has been their
cash cow for at least the past 25 years. This is but one explanation
for why their Skype application has been stuck in the dark ages of
32-bit computing and qt5 and bluez4 up to now, and why Microsoft
Office, their other major cash cow, even though it gives the nod to
Apple, still has no support on Linux to this day. There may be other
internal factors at play, but this is the main one. They're cimply
not gonna give up that cash flow they get from the sale of millions
upon millions of Windows licenses, especially now that they have a
subscription model that allows them to keep getting cash from every
single user each year. This is why we see so much commercial
advertising and marketing of their latest, greatest and shiniest,
which pretty much just copies GNOME and KDE. So no, they're not
gonna care about accessibility, especially on Linux, and they will
continue to give any Linux Skype client moving forward second class
status if they give it anything at all. And no, they're most likely
not going to improve accessibility on their website either, because
the only reason they have the website at all is because several
other voice and video platforms, including but not limited to Google
Hangouts and appear.in, were already doing the whole WebRTC thing,
so they felt they had to develop a cute little website that they
claim uses WebRTC just to say they're doing it too. It's long past
time to start using a better alternative, many of which have been
available for some time, and stop giving Microsoft any further
publicity or data that they can sell to government spy agencies in
China, the USA and other countries, as they have been caught doing
on a number of occasions.
Sent from my firm foundation