Re: [orca-list] ALSA Card Ordering [Was: I hate pulse]

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 10:37:33AM -0400, Janina Sajka via orca-list wrote:
Rob writes:
...The only problem I have with pulse is that age old thing about not having speech in boht the console and
the gui. You had to jump through hoops to get both working. The work around was to do something with pulse
starting in daemon or system mode rather than user mode. But pulse didn't like you doing that for some
reason.
I haven't played with pulse for a long time, so I don't know if this issue still exists. I'd rather just
avoid it entirely where I can.

I don't have the page bookmarked, so can't point you to a URI, but I
read in the pulse docs about this. Their rationale is security. Running
as root would enable you to snoop on someone's microphone, if there are
multiple terminals connected to a particular computer.

I find their use cases unbelievably edge-case and totaly specious. Yes,
in theory they're correct. But, I'd wager there are far more blind users
being inconvenienced by this than will ever set up multiple keyboards,
displays and audio devices attaching to the same computer in multiple
rooms--the only way I can see justifying their security concerns.

Full ACK, but fortunatly pulse can still be executed as root.

The biggest problem with pulse is, that getting it to work in the
console and in a graphical environment isn't easy and that make things
much more difficult especialy for linux beginners. I also have to play
around try different configs when setting up a new linux box.

I'll try to write a step to step guide how I've configured my Debian
Stretch machine with pulse and speech support in the console and Mate.

Cheers,

  Schoepp

--
Christian Schoepplein - <chris (at) schoeppi.net> - http://schoeppi.net