Re: [orca-list] I hate pulse

Amen.

I generally terminate pulse with extreme prejudice. It's not worth the
trouble. Afaik, all pulse provides the Orca user that alsa doesn't, is
earcons. Well, earcons are nice, but not essential. Reliable speech is
essential. Long live alsa.

Janina

John G Heim writes:
I hate pulse. Or at least I think I do. So here is what happened to me last
night. I was writing a php scritp to show pathfinder (that's open-source
D&D) spells in a table. All of a sudden, orca stops speaking. I hit Alt+F2
and type, "orca --replace". I hear the familiar, "screen reader reloaded"
and then nothing. I do it again, same effect. I tried getting out of
firefox, gedit, etc. Hard to know what I was actually doing w/o the screen
reader. Finally, I reboot. Same thing! I can restart orca but it won't
speak. What kind of bug, I ask myself, can survive a reboot? Then it hits me
... pulse. Pulse-f'in-audio.
--

PS: If anybody is interested in the pathfinder spells web app, let me know.
It's open source.