Re: [orca-list] Update on my orca problem in arch with gnome

Hi, Matthew:

You don't say how you're driving speech for Speakup. But, then I can't
claim to be expert on all the ways things can go awry when we have
different drivers for the same audio device. One would assume that dmix
would take care of things--but my experience says it ain't necessarily
so.

A couple weeks ago I was having no problem using Speakup with Espeakup
and Orca via Speech-Dispatcher all on the same, default alsa device,
hw:0.

Then I decided to work on getting Firefox to send audio to my higher
quality audio device, and most particularly not to mix audio from web
pages with my screen reader. I accomplished this, but the penalty was
that I could no longer get both Speakup and Orca onto the same alsa
device.

So, I don't know what or how many audio devices you have, but I thought
I'd report my experience over many years. Sometimes I've had them both
on the same device, but by no means always, and this experience is
across multiple systems including laptops and desktops.

You can test this quite easily by starting Orca without running, or
after killing Speakup and whatever drives Speakup speech. That will tell
you whether you're having this problem, or something else.

If you're having this problem, don't despair. USB audio devices can be
had quite affordably.

hth

Janina

matthew dyer writes:
Hi all,.

A couple of days ago, I reported that I was having problems with orca in gnome after installing arch.  I
was able to do some more testing and conferm that orca does come up after running orca in the run box in
gnome.  I am also unable to get sounds in gnome such as the valume sound in gnomre.  If I type spd hello, I
get nothing.  Perhaps this is a problem with speech dispatcher.  I do how ever get speech in the consil
with speakup just not in the gui with orca.  Any ideas on this one.  I really do not want to reinstall arch
if I can help.  I never had this problem.  BTW, I used the lates iso talking arch image on the talking arc
site.  HTH.

Matthew

Sent from Mail for Windows 10