Re: [orca-list] Orca and terminal text editors

Well, to develop Al's theme a bit further, I've also found the Macintosh
Terminal virtual unusable with Voice Over.

In fact I've used my Linux virtual machine on my Mac Airbook to ssh into
the osx environment on that same machine for terminal access on
Macintosh.

And, in my home environment, I sse from my Linux system to my Airbook
for any command line work on the Mac.

I guess the bottom line is if you really want to work on the cli, get a
cli screen reader.

Best,

Janina

Al Sten-Clanton writes:
I suggest using Speakup with the terminal if you can, including using Vim or
Emacs or pretty much anything else you'd use by way of the terminal.  Orca's
a great program, but I almost never use it in the terminal except to run my
speakup script after booting up and loggin in.  I often find that I get more
information, or at least get it more easily, when on the command line in a
text console using Speakup than when using Orca in gnome-terminal.

I'm not faulting Orca, by the way.  I think it's a problem with the
graphical terminal, since I see it using the Windows command line with JAWS.
Many times, I don't hear much output from a command using the command prompt
on the Windows box, and sometimes none at all.

Hope this helps.

Al