Re: [orca-list] Defaulting to command line instead of Gnome or Mate

John:

Never fear. This is Linux. You can always put things back the way they
were!

Go ahead and use apt to install all the Gnome goodness you want,
including Orca and Firefox, and maybe even LibreOffice.

If that install changes you to the graphical login by default, just put
the text login back with a simple systemd command as root like so:

systemctl set-default multi-user.target

I'm sure this is all documented in Debian's installation documents. I
know i'ts beautifully documented in the Arch installation docs.

Janina

John J. Boyer writes:
This is of great interest to me. When I installed Debian Jessie, I just
didn't install any of the desktop environments. The machine boots in
command-line mode, which I really like. However, I want to be able to
switch to a GUI to work on Orca and use Firefox and LibreOffice. I'm
concerned that using apt-get to upgrade might mess up the command-line
boot.

John