Re: [orca-list] linux full time

Ah, now there ya go...we do indeed need more sound themes.

On Fri, 6 May 2016, kendell clark wrote:

    hi
Could not agree more. Different people like different desktops. People
who use windows 8/10 will probably like gnome better. People who have
used windows 7/xp/2k, etc will probably like either mate or a standalone
window manager better. They're not limited to one choice and one only.
The one thing I wish linux had more of is good sound themes. The
standards are all there, the pieces are all there, but instead of making
good quality sound themes people seem to want to package windows and mac
sounds up for it which, in addition to being illegal makes me wonder
what the point of using linux is if you're going to cling to the sounds
your last OS came with. As a temporary solution until you get used to
the linux sounds makes perfect sense, but what tends to happen is that
people get set in their ways. If I can't have my sounds I'm used to
linux sucks and so on. They don't ever want to get used to linux's way
of doing things because they can make it behave so much like what they
used to use. I can use command line if I have to but I'm not very good
at it so i'm very greatful for graphical desktops. Storm really likes
the command line and doesn't use desktops very much so everyone has the
way they like to use their system best and neither way is wrong.
Thanks
Kendell Clark

Alex Midence wrote:
OK, since I have clearly unwittingly ruffled feathers with last decade comment, I want to explain what I
meant. It simply means what it says. It is an interface common 10 years ago. If you grew up during that
time, you are used to it. If you grew up during this decade, chances are, you will find cumbersome.
Also, if you are coming from the Newer forms of windows, interfaces such as unity and Gnome will be
closer to what you're used to.  Me, I grew up during the late 80s and early 90s.   That means I find
commandline quite comfortable. Gives me warm fuzzies.  Makes me nostalgic for the days of shell accounts
and BBSs. Some of you may never have even heard of such things. All the rage back then until people
started hearing about this thing called the Internet. Good old CLI!   That would be the interface of
three decades ago!

Best in gavel-free regards,
Alex M

Sent from my iPhone