Re: [orca-list] linux full time

No  feathers ruffled here, and just for the record for those who do not
know I have many fewer years of computer use under my belt than you do
although I am almost twice your age.
I was half way joking, although the truth at the core I still stand by,
i.e many people I know who use windows, most sighted, a few screenreader
using blinks, use their desktop and or start menu for launching aps.
They are more  likely to use the search box for looking for files perhaps,
but point is they like seeing program lists, and would appreciate the
categorized view that Linux's "olderschool" interfaces generally provide.
I was trying to take  mopre than one side of the discussion in my overly
verbose post, and get that ppl probably stopped paying attention before I
was finished.
Anyway, as I mentioned my main approach for accessing aps and even my most
used folders is with a consistent set of keybindings I have little skin in
the game in the search vs. menu discussion/game.
There are things I like and dislike about each of the most accessible
Linux desktops.
Back to the original point: of course choosing fromj a somewhat self
organizing list was the next "thing" after human readable cli clis, just
saying that they still work great, and for many do not feel tired or
clunky.
When I started using modern computers vista was already out, and although
I never used it for more than an odd session here and there, I'm certainly
not just someone set in my 1990s or 2000s ways.
I only gotg my toes wet in dos, skipped every windows till XP, and really
only have xp and win7 experience on that side of the isle as it were.
I certainly did gnome2, but dove right in to unity till I was as
comfortable with it as anything else, and only went full speed ahead with
my custom keybindings and very lightweight guis in the last couple of
years.
The ability to choose it where it's at/viva Linux!

--
B. Henry

*follow me on Twitter @BurtHenry
 *connect on *GTalk or *AIM
     (this address)
*Yahoo burt1iband
&I'm on *Linkedin & *FaceBook

Alex Midence wrote:
    06/05/2016 at 22:26

AMOK, since I have clearly unwittingly ruffled feathers with last decade comment, I want to explain what I
meant. It simply means what it says. It is an interface common 10 years ago. If you grew up during that time,
you are used to it. If you grew up during this decade, chances are, you will find cumbersome.  Also, if you
are coming from the Newer forms of windows, interfaces such as unity and Gnome will be closer to what you're
used to.  Me, I grew up during the late 80s and early 90s.   That means I find commandline quite comfortable.
Gives me warm fuzzies.  Makes me nostalgic for the days of shell accounts and BBSs. Some of you may never
have even heard of such things. All the rage back then until people started hearing about this thing called
the Internet. Good old CLI!   That would be the interface of three decades ago!
AM
AMBest in gavel-free regards,
AMAlex M
AM