Re: [orca-list] Changes/ finetuning for Progressbar Beeps

Hey B.H.

I've been meaning to make separate interval settings. I'll do that.
--joanie

On 06/29/2016 02:18 PM, B. Henry wrote:
Unless oone is sitting right in front of a laptop or has good sound system connected to their computer they
won't hear movement.
I do have a request, or maybe I am aggreeing with what is being proposed, sorry, I am unsure of what was
meant by shorter beeps.
I set my spoken progress msgs to 5 seconds, but would like more frequent beeps in many cases, It could seem
to add a bit of overhead to the code, but maybe
not or maybe it would be minimal to check progress percentage every second, maybe even half second and if
the change from the last check is more than a
certain percent,  5% , maybe, then there would be a beep.
For slow progress a beep every 5 seconds is fine.
NVDA works this way I believe, i.e. sometimes beep come very quicklyl when something updates quickly, and
it can be much slower for something that takes a
long time to complete. For slower updates then default to beeping every 5 or 10 secs.
The alternative, having separate settings for spoken, braille, and beeped progress would not be as good as
I don't want to hear a beep if progress has not
advanced much or any.
Having braille and spoken beeps on the same timer probably makes sense.
I am guesssing that folks who can use both speech and braille won't use braile updates  unless they have
chosen to turn speech off all together for some
reason.
Regards, and thanks for working on this.