[orca-list] twitter from Linux

Once again time is slipping in to and out of the future around us, e.g. just for a few minutes it appears
that ubuntu 17.04 was out...lol.
Sorry if I got anyones hopes up.
I of course meant to type 16.04.
I tried install the 16.04 package on trusty, but could never meet dependencies.
I will try making from generic source code one of these daze soon.
Manjaro and arch users can get corebird, several packages were available.
Down to three or four now.
I use corebired-git, well have it installed, but only use it once or month at most. oysttyer when I remember
to, and ttytter that it was derived from when
I don't.
oysttyer is better it seems, and I think has some good new feature or two that I can not remember.
Make sure you get the term readline ttytter package if it is not a hard dependency for your distro.
Among other things it displays how many chars you have used.
The one thing that works poorly lis opening urls, i.e. they open perfectly , but if you run in a console and
need a textbased browser it is hard top tell
whether you will be interacting with the twitter client or the webbrowser when yuou type something, and half
the time I accidentaly close oysttyer when all
I want to do is close elinks, lynx or whatever.
You can use firefox when run in a gnome or other terminal emulator, and as I recall that works fine, but
better give that a test drive to make sure, maybe
can run in a console with exported display , or did that not work when I tried?
There is also a twitter script for irssi, but I have never gotten it to work.
It requires quite a narly set of cpan perl stuff that always fails somehow. I think I did get it all to build
right finally, but never connected to
twitter, and am not sure if it works for anyone these days.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  B. Henry wrote:
Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 11:30:50PM -0500

No twitter for pidgin.
I reffered to using bitlbee for twitter, and that it does exist for thunderbirtd, but is terrible to use.
Get corebird for a gui interface if you have ubuntu 17.04, arch or many other distros. There's no repo for
corebird for Ubuntu trusty  or earlier.
I don't particularly like corebird, but it is accessible, just an impractical interface for the stuff I do
most, rt's for example.
it is good for reading tweets though, and fine for original posts.

Others like it more than I do.
I much prefer ttytter and oysttytter, or how ever its spelled...lol. It is the maintained fork of ttytter,
the great perl script for twitter interaction.
YOu can do just about anything, and people write extensions to add more automatic functionality.
Bitlbee's twitter support is native these days, and in many ways works much like ttytter and friends.
I do not see the problem with twitter, but still almost never use the website.
I usually think it has improved each time I try it however.
I don't like the mobile twitter site much, takes far too many clclunky clicks to do anything, and of course
focus never goes back to where you want it.
Maybe with firefox and orca this does occur, but I much prefer the regular interface for the web ap.
There are shortcuts access with the question mark, so look at those, and most stuff you just enter on .
They have changed a lot in the last few months, so maybe some things are worse or different now. I made
sure I set my prefferences to not get fed stuff
like facebook does, al filered. I did have one problem though, could not find where to change my picture
and bio message. Tweeting was good for me though.
I really never like to use social network sites often, so don't keep up with how the sites evolve on a
regular basis.
Sorry I can't help more, but if you do irc at all, try bitlbee.
Actually, they do have some stuff for pidgin and friends.
For ubuntu, go to the bitlbee website, and somewhere on their downloads page there is mention of repos for
ubuntu and debian nightly builds.
These are not typical nightly builds, i.e. they do not update anywhere near nightly, and the builds are
always stable in my experience, but probably once
in a while something is not quite right.
Anyway, get those ppas for your machine if they run debian based distros.
YOu can also just download the packages from those repos of course.
There is something with purple in it, and those are the packages for use with pidgin. I have no idea how
they are, i.e. it never made since fto use some
thing that uses irc to get to other protocols in a program that already can get at those protocols, but if
things work that would be an indirect way to get
twitter functionality in  pidgin.
Again, I have no idea about those packages for pidgin, but if you google bitlbee for pidgin or something
like that,  you wil probably find out what can be
done.
Other wise, just install bitlbee from the nightly repos and use it fo twitter or go to the
oysttyer
website and install that.
I did spell it correctly this last time.
You can run it well in a gnome terminal, I never do, but have tried it in the past when using extensions
that needed the gui to work.
It is fast, and theonly real issue is having to remember the two character codes after they scroll off the
screen.
Sometimes very large calls do not seem to work, but I think that is more a twitter api thing than a problem
with the client.
I loved the old twitgen plugin for pidgin, but it's long since broken for ever it seems.
I tried every available twitter plogin a couple years ago, and none worked, and have not seen any work done
on any of them the couple times I checked.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Krishnakant wrote:
Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 06:56:37AM +0530

Hi Henry,
I am very keen on Orca with twitter.
I tryed 5 months back and I could hardly do any thing on it.
Can you or any one update me with the status?
I was reading your email and got a bit confused with the options.
I wish to know if Pidgin has an option for twitter which really works well?
Or is the mobile version of twitter.com accessible?
happy hacking.
Krishnakant.