Re: [orca-list] orca support in empathy

It was pretty much the other way around, i.e. pidgin had more features than the competition.
Thunderbird is a vible chat option for many networks, less features, but plenty good enough for most people.
I have used it for facebook, gtalk, and a
couple others, maybe aim or yahoo/can't remember.
Twitter works, but is not really usable if you get more than a few tweets an hour as the display is in a grid
and focus does not automatically go to last
read or something. There was a good plug-in , well extension I guess, for windows only a few years ago, but
it like so many other good extensions broke
with t-bird updates.
Oh, irc is the other protocol that works well with thunderbird. I don't think aim will work as it uses oscar,
but not sure it does not.
Features are limited, but for basic chat I find thunderbird fine/usually have a few accounts and one or two
irc chans set up just in case I want to use it.
For those who use the commandline I highly recomend bitlbee. It is a very actively maintained program and
lets you use your favorite irc client, irssi is
mine and probably the best over all for most folks, to connect to other chat protocols. It handles oscar
services like aim, xmpp and with a add on facebook
chat. YOu can also set it up to connect to skype. That last one takes some doing, i.e. I'd not recommend it
to a novice who does not have time and or
patience following instructions. You have to install skyped and get it set up and then connect to it with
bitlbee. I also use bitlbee to tweet. It works
similarly to ttytter or oystter, i.e. you use tweet index codes, a letter and a number to say wich tweet you
are replying to or rt'ing, e.g. reply x2 Your
tweet sounds like a crow with a sore throat dudette
would reply to the  tweet with x2 as its code.
It is a bit less versitile than oysttytter and ttytter, but does most of what you need, and you don'at have
to prefix commands with a slash in bitlbee in
the default mode. There is a strict mode that makes it imposible to confuse commands with tweeted words as
well.
a couple things are nicer with bitlbe twitter actually, and as you can automatically log with irssi and most
any irc client you can easily read stuff from
hours or days ago with out opening a browser.
Instant bird is another option, but it does little more than thunderbird, and never got enough community
behind it to write the extensions it would need to
get in to pidgin's league of power and flexibility.
Too bad there as it's basiclly a good program, and very accessible that looks the same on windows and linux
which is important to quite a few folks who use
both os's regularly.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Krishnakant wrote:
Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 09:15:17AM +0530

Pidgin works very well and I use it for all my chatting.
I think since it is stable enough for some time now, it is the right and
probably only choice for chatting.
I would like to know if Empathy has some feature which Pidgin does not have?
So we could know what Orca users are missing out.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant