Re: [orca-list] Urgent: Linux accessibility help

Geoff:

I just did a cursory Google search on "IBM Notes accessibility." If you
haven't yet done something like that, it may be useful.

Without having read into the details of this search, it appears there
may be additional plugins needed, possibly on the Domino side.

There's also an Android client for Notes. Maybe that's your path? I
don't know, but it's something to look at.

Lastly, if you do have to go the Win10/JFW route, you might want to
consider doing so in a Virtual Box vm that's configured only for Notes.

I will ask my IBM colleagues later today for any wisdom they can shed.

Janina

Geoff Shang writes:
Hi,

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread.

A few quick comments before my discoveries.

* Adding the accessibility-dev PPA got me Orca 3.18.1 (I think)  which was a
vast improvement on 3.10.3.  Firefox wasn't perfect, but at least I can now
use the menus which I definitely could not before.

* IBM Notes (formerly Lotus Notes) is an email/contacts/calendaring etc
application.  It communicates with IBM Domino Server.

The application still doesn't speak at all.  This has me a bit suspicious,
as its dependencies would suggest that it should speak.  I also noticed late
in the day that LibreOffice Writer 4.2.8 behaved exactly the same way, and I
was wondering if this version should have been useable and whether something
is seriously messed up or missing on my system for both these programs to
effectively mute Orca like this.  The fact that both apparently seem to be
Java-based might provide another clue.

Unfortunately, the web UI is full of clickables, and even using the
clickables list, they don't always activate when they should and are often
hard to associate with the message you want to open, for example.  So I
don't think this is going to be practical.

Right now I'm looking down the barrel of having to use Windows with JFW, so
if anyone has any thoughts about why Notes 9.0.1 and LibreOffice Writer
4.2.8 cause Orca 3.18.1 to pretty much stop functioning when their windows
are in focus, I'd really like to hear it.

Cheers,
Geoff.