Re: [orca-list] Urgent: Linux accessibility help

Try
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
maybe some package was added or removed that effects orca dependencies, can't remember what it is or if that
is the case, but kind of think it may be.
YOu certainly should be able to update your orca though.
Luke or Rob who converted ubuntu 14.04 to vinu5 should remember anything they had to tweak to make latest
accessibility a reality.
I don't have a stock 14.04 image so can't test things quickly.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Tyna Pelletier-Bilodeau wrote:
Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 03:07:18PM -0400

Hi,
as far as I know, I couldn't update orca to 3.20 on ubuntu 14.04... I added
the accessibility ppa, did an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, and I was
still using orca 3.10. I'm not sure but I think it's related to the fact
that gtk is not updated to 3.20. But then again, maybe I did something wrong
or just forgot to do something, as I didn't use ubuntu since at least
september 2015.
Thanks
Tyna

B. Henry a écrit :
Yes, you need tto put the accesiblity ppa in to your sources.list file or better as a seperate.list file
in sources.llist.d dir.
You will get a much newer orca r release and the accessiblity stack it needs to work.
Sick with the ubuntu you have. It is a good choice accessiblity wise.
You will see a huge difference in firefox accessibliy performance and new features that help firefox very
much in the orca 3.20 that you will get with the
accessiblity ppa, at least I'm 99% sure that is the release av aila ble there now.
The newer firefox is better than the old one that shipped with this ubuntu release. I may be off a bit,
but firefox 25-30   was a dark age for
accessiblity, well, darkened, with 2 the worst as I recall, and things clearing up somewhere around 29 or
30, gradual improving from 25...
I don't know about the web interface you are using, buit once you get the new orca insalled and started
 you might need to use clickables instead of just
using enter for the links to your email messages. I just was on a webpage las night that showed a link I
needed  to open as a normal link, but did not
respond to enter, nor did i appear in a links list. When I used the list clickables key combo it
appeared, and opened correctlyo pressing the activate
button.
Check in the orca prefs window's keybindings tab to learn all of the available commands/bindings, but for
clickables you want
shift alt a. Arrow up and down till you find the item you want, and tab to activate and enter again.
Pressing enter on the clickable's label in the list does not open it, i.e. you must use activate or one
of the other options to interact with the item in
stuch lists.
There are similar lists available for standard links, graphics, buttonsd, etc.
I have no experience with ibm-notes, but seem to remember hearing that it is not accessible ata all.
You need to convince your I.T. department to allow the acessibility ppa. it will make a huge difference,
especially with mozilla apps, but has features
that will help you with other software and ingeneral will perform better.
   I can't over state the improvement in firefox accessibility and its responsiveness over the last
couple of years. It is not apparent on all webpages, but
is notable on most, and some pages and or controls that were unusable before work beautifully now, and
others that were slunky to use before now work
smoothly.
If I can be of any assistance in helping you configure your Ubuntu, feel free to write me off list and
I'll do what I can.
You might want to install Vinux5 on another machine and compare configurations as it is based on the
Ubuntu release you are using.