Re: [orca-list] orca can't talk in programs that run with root privileges

hi
Pulse audio is certainly part of it. It's the thing preventing a person
from just starting orca as root to read the application. Pulse audio
runs as whichever user is logged in at the time. So if I were logged in
and mellisa were logged in, we'd each have our own copy of pulse audio
running at the same time separate from each other so she wouldn't hear
my sounds and vice versa. This is mostly an accessibility problem.
Something is preventing orca from getting at the app when it's run as
root. And if orca can't see something, it can't read it. Gksu no longer
works in gtk3, only gtk2. Which is why gnome shell had to solve the
problem. I don't know how they did it, but however they did it I want
mate and other desktops like it to be able to do it. It might be
acceptible to have to jump through a few hoops for us veteren linux
users, but the first time a new user has to do it the whining will
start. That's not fair, this is hard, why can't it be easier, etc etc
etc. And I can see their point. After all, what they were using didn't
have this problem. For the most part anyway. There are still cases where
windows and OSX can't get at apps running as the root equivalent. I'm an
OS developer for all intents and purposes, and so I have to make sure
our distribution is as easy to use as possible. Apps running as root are
a significant part of that. Without that, you can't do most
administrative tasks and you can't set some settings.
Thanks
Kendell Clark

Majid Hussain wrote:
arr,
so you think it is a pulseaudio thing then?
which user does pulseaudio run by?
if it runns via root then it may give us the answer if not if it is
possable for it to run as root it may change something?
just speculating you understand?
to clarafye,
running via alsa not pulseaudio makes it that you are able to runn
programms as root with out any issues is this correct?
ore am I miss reading things yet again?

thanks,
Majid Hussain