Re: [orca-list] Use Linux as a daily driver

The only place you may have trouble, and that is a weak point for many orca users is OCR.
The free solutions use the same ocr engine that NVDA's ocr plug-in uses, and one more that may be better or
not depending on language/document.
There are some other solutions, a web-based ocr service that charges by the page I think, but I have no
experience.
I do not know if there is some other non-free Linux OCR program one can  buy, nor if it is accessible.
There is a good program called lios one can inistall that provides some useful features like auto rotation to
assist when you do not know which side
should go up.
Also there is a relatively new program called ocrdesktop that works something like NVDA's ocr add-on, but
with some powerful extras.
It is only in Arch-Linux repositories at this point I think, but can probably be built for most distros.
I recommend getting chrome with the chromevox extension as an alternative to Orca with firefox, but Orca has
really stepped up  its online game over the
last year and a half. Most sites work very well with firefox and Orca.
Last I checked it seemed that gmail worked well, but I find it webmail tedious and slow compared with a well
set up email client so do not keep up with
this.
I've used Linujx almost exclusively for years and OCR is almost the only thing that I really ever need to
start windows for, and as I do little of that
I go months with out ever starting a windows box.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Øyvind Lode wrote:
Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:23:10PM +0100

Hi all:

I want to give Linux a chance as a daily driver.
I have a workstation that I can use for testing out different Linux distros.
If all goes well I'd love to switch to Linux as my main OS on my laptop as well.

My requirements:

* Using the web is important.
I particularly need to use banking and the gmail interface.

* Email - see above.
I use the Gmail standard view to manage my email and it works great on
Windows with Firefox and NVDA.
Of course I can go back to use a email client like Thunderbird if Orca
does not handle the gmail interface to my satisfaction.
However, I really prefer the webmail approach.

* Use the terminal effectively; especially remote admin work via ssh.

* OCR
I currently use ABBYY FineReader on Windows and it's a great solution.

How well does Linux/Orca perform with the above requirements?

Thanks,

-Øyvind